You're Ready To Fight. Let Us Level The Field.

What To Do If Your Identity Has Been Stolen

As a victim of identity theft, you are not helpless. You can take active measures to protect your assets and your credit rating if someone gains access to your credit cards and financial accounts. In addition, it may be possible to recover compensation from credit agencies or other parties that have violated your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Hamilton, Burgess, Young & Pollard, P.L.L.C.., with offices in Fayetteville and Princeton, is a team of attorneys that represents victims of identity theft and other types of consumer fraud. We stand up to negligent lenders and corporations who fail to respect the rights of consumers. If your case has merit, we will work diligently to obtain full compensation for you.

What To Do If You Are The Victim Of identity Theft

If someone has gained unauthorized access to your financial accounts, you should do the following:

  • Notify the police.
  • Notify the relevant financial institution or institutions for the accounts that have been accessed and place an initial fraud alert on your credit reports. This can stop someone from opening additional financial accounts using your name.
  • Notify the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion).

If your problems persist (such as a creditor extending credit that was not authorized by you), call 304-574-2727 for a free consultation with Hamilton, Burgess, Young & Pollard, P.L.L.C.. You may be entitled to compensation from the financial institution that violated your rights as described by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Active Duty Military Personnel

Military personnel have additional rights when it comes to protecting their financial identities. You can put an “active duty alert” on your credit reports if you are on active duty and you don’t expect to open new credit. If a financial institution does open a new line of credit while the alert is in effect, you can sue that institution seeking compensation for financial losses, punitive damages and attorney fees.

Free Consultation With An Experienced West Virginia Lawyer

Contact Hamilton, Burgess, Young & Pollard, P.L.L.C.., to learn more about your rights and how we can assist you.

Contact Form

Office Locations


Please direct all mail to P.O. Box 959
Fayetteville, WV 25840

Fayetteville office:
5493 Maple Lane

Fayetteville, WV 25840
Phone: 304-574-2727
Fayetteville Office Location

Princeton office:
1607 West Main Street

Princeton, WV 24740
Phone: 304-425-8775
Princeton Office Location

Toll Free: 888-279-7919